Thursday, March 12, 2009

Texting in Church?



I was listening to 104.7 the Fish this morning, and they were actually having a pretty controversial discussion. I usually turn the station once they start talking, but I decided to listen this time. They were discussing the whole aspect of "texting," and the effect it has on people. For example, there is a church in Missouri where the Pastor encourages members of the congregation to text him during his sermon. He screens all the questions and comments that come to him through the texts, and then he attempts to answer them throughout the sermon. He believes that this promotes healthy dialogue within the community, and it also encourages people to actively communicate, where they previously would be very passive. I, personally cannot text and listen to a sermon at the same time. If someone is talking to me, and I am trying to text at the same, I usually involuntarily zone them out. It is very hard to believe that people can concentrate on what is going on in church while everyone around them is texting. I imagine ringtones going off, kids texting each other instead of the pastor, and phones lighting up everywhere. On the other hand.....here is an excerpt from an article about the "text-happy" church:

“The church’s embrace of texting — this was the third week of its experiment — has already improved the dialogue, according to Schreiner, and energized many of Morning Star’s younger members. ‘I love it,’ said 14-year-old Kailey Elfstrum, who had her text all ready to go even before Schreiner’s sermon began. ‘You get to ask the pastor anything you want while he’s talking.’ Her friend Maddie Howard, also 14, agreed. ‘You don’t want to admit your sins to the rest of the church, but this way you can still ask something important,’ she said.”

I know that I am not the most open-minded person in the world....I admit to that...however, I just can't fathom the idea of a congregation that is able to listen to what the Lord has to say through the pastor's sermon.....and send out multiple texts at the same time. I think there are ways to go about doing it without being a huge distraction. Text before....Text after......have a follow up service later on in the week after all the texts have gone through.....answer texts via the Internet or church website....etc.

People say that times are changing and so are the ways of communication. I agree with that statement, but I just can't bring myself to think that texting during the church service is appropriate.

No comments: